Black with White and White with Black - this is something that simply refuses to go out of fashion. Like pearls and diamonds, these timeless colours remain in fashion forever. What changes are the cuts and prints, but these colours continue to fire the imagination of numerous designers and continue to be married to each other, time and again – sometimes in predictable and classic designs and sometimes- rather innovatively.
On the colour scale, black and white are polar opposites which when combined create striking patterns for the eye and yet provide a feeling of soothing balance. Apart from oozing classic timelessness, sophistication and premium style, black and white outfits tend to blend well with almost any sort of accessories. In fact, matching accessories with black and white clothes can be quite delightful, as the only factor limiting you here would be your imagination. From colourful beady jewelry, broad studded belts, funky and bold costume jewelry, white shell necklaces, silver accessories studded with precious stones to platinum and pearls, just about anything can be matched with black and white clothes.
Not just the ease of matching it up, also the fact that black and white can be worn with equal ease for office, semi-formal occasions, casual outings, and even for parties, has made this classic duo an eternal favourite of most people.
So, what do we suggest that you put in your essential “Black and White” treasure? Black and white combinations or black and white on their own, can be opted for in ethnic designs and motifs, very chic modern print and daring cuts, flowy and casual outfits and of course in formal clothes. You must choose what suits you best as per your body type and complexion:
For a basic and essential black and white collection, we suggest that all you girlies out there invest in following 10 B/W jewels:
1. At least one super flattering figure hugging short black cocktail dress. You could go for a short tube dress or a strapless number if your body type so allows. Otherwise, even an empire cut, halter or a smart strappy number can do the trick. Also, get one or two casual knee-length or calf-length black dresses in flattering cuts. A spaghetti strap dress, wrap around or a maxi black dress can work wonders and can be worn for just about anything from a visit to the coffee shop to a visit to the swimming pool to a pub.
2. Printed black and white floral knee length dresses in slightly large prints are a rage this season. Get at least one in organic or natural fabrics to balance out the summer heat.
3. A couple of pure white flowing dresses that work rather well as Sunday brunch wear or breakfast outing outfits. Go for innovative strappy styles with daring necklines in cotton and natural linen to beat the heat. A short white empire dress with cap sleeves is a must for your collection as it is quite casual and at the same time exudes chilled out class and style. You could try lacy or lace trimmed dresses and crochet dresses too.
4. White pants and well fitting short black tops with smart necklines that can be funked-up with broad jazzy belts, accessories and bags.
5. Black leggings with white and black printed long tops and tunics. Experiment with sequined and delicately embellished tunics that could be even worn to work
6. A black and white printed flowing calf-length skirt in the print of your choice. Match a few flattering white tops with the shade of white of the skirt so that the tops don’t look off colour. You could even get a white top specially designed with black lace trimmings or black knit trimmings or ruffles around the sleeves and the edges to go with your skirt. Also, a must is a black and white well fitting knee-length zebra print or wave print skirt that can be worn to work with white or black shirts and stilettos.
7. A black lacy shrug that you can wear on any skimpy black dress to cover yourself up when you walk from your house to your car, your car to the club and so on.
8. A black and white clutch purse. You could go for an elegantly and slightly sequined piece or one studded with black small stones on white. Simple black and white printed ones work well with trousers and dresses in modern cuts and styles.
9. A pair of black stilettos, regular black and white heals and a smart black and white flats.
10. Black and White beady necklaces that are all the rage right now.
The advantage here is that it is difficult to go wrong with black and white. So, go on and get creative about wearing these classic colours.